Marching Band Methods
Term: Fall 2021 - Full Term (08/30/2021 - 12/13/2021)
Grade Mode: Letter Grading
Times & Locations
|Start Date||End Date||Days||Time||Location|
|8/30/2021||12/13/2021||R||10:10am - 11:00am||PCAC M128|
Primarily online and asynchronous to allow students to fit in the course. In-person time will be used for practical work such as marching/visual technique, colorguard, percussion, etc.
Offered every other year (next time will be fall 2023). Highly recommended for Music Education/Pre-Teaching and M.A. Music: Conducting Majors.
Subjects covered include (in no particular order):
- Teaching philosophy
- Marching band types and styles
- Marching/visual technique (executing and teaching)
- Marching band rehearsal methods
- Marching percussion technique (and why you should hire an instructor)
- Colorguard technique (and why you should hire an instructor)
- Basic arranging
- Basic drill writing and use of drill-writing software
- Marching competitions and adjudication
- Marching band administration, including budgeting, hiring/managing staff, handbooks, student leadership, fundraising, inventory management, travel planning, etc.
- Parade marching
- Rehearsal/performance observation (requirement lower for 2021 WMB members)