Spec Top/Composition Studies
Term: Spring 2021 - Full Term (02/01/2021 - 05/11/2021)
Grade Mode: Letter Grading
Times & Locations
|Start Date||End Date||Days||Time||Location|
|2/1/2021||5/11/2021||F||11:10am - 2:00pm||ONLINE|
Writing for Nonprofits and Communities
Nonprofit organizations work on behalf of their causes and communities, and every year, nonprofits, as a whole, generate millions of dollars to fund this work. These kinds of organizations rely on a mix of financial resources to fund their work including donors, fundraising events, appeals to legislators, and grants. Given this reality, effective writing strategies are essential for these organizations, and they are often in need of effective writers to promote their work, write for grants, solicit donations, and educate legislators and the public alike. For students aiming to work in university and college settings, a working knowledge and understanding of writing for nonprofits/grants can be an important skill set to bring to their future workplaces.
Through readings, writing and analytic activities (including the examination of grant applications and sample writing materials from nonprofits), interactions with local nonprofit groups, projects, and guest speakers, students in this course will:
- Gain an understanding of the goals and missions of non-profit and other community organizations. We will also consider the grant-writing activities undertaken by these groups.
- Gain an understanding of the texts such organizations use in order to achieve their goals and mission, including an understanding of genres, conventions, rhetorical strategies, and writing processes.
- Acquire and practice using rhetorical strategies that appropriately address the exigencies, audiences, and purposes non-profit professionals face.
- Gain specific writing and communication skills that can aid you in nonprofit/grant activities for workplaces, grant activities, or volunteer work.
- Make connections with professionals in the non-profit community.
ENGL 729 is open to juniors and seniors with an interest in writing and nonprofit work. This is a writing intensive course.